As you make last-minute trips to the grocery store and finalize the menu for Thursday’s big meal, there are some things to keep in mind when preparing the food for you and your family. You want to provide your family with a wholesome meal and the medical center in Hialeah wants you to keep your family’s stomachs happy and healthy this Thanksgiving by providing you with simple tips and tricks:
1. Keep everything clean
- Make sure you wash your hands with warm water and soap before and after handling food.
- Wash any surfaces where you cook or keep food with hot water and cleaning substances.
- Rinse fruits and vegetables with water before cutting and cooking, even if you’re peeling some of them.
- Do not rinse raw meat before cooking.
2. Don’t let bacteria spread from one food to another
- Keep raw eggs, meat, and seafood separate from each other and from other food
- If possible, avoid using one cutting board for all the food–otherwise wash the board between uses.
- Use clean dishes to keep your cooked food.
3. Make sure food is cooked properly
- Use a food thermometer to make sure all the meat is cooked in order to be safely consumed. The turkey is safe to eat when it reaches 165 degrees Fahrenheit; insert the thermometer into the thigh, wing, and thickest part of the breast to measure the temperature.
- Bring sauces, soups, and gravies to a rolling boil when reheating.
- Cook eggs until the yolk and whites are firm; this will be 5-7 minutes of boiling.
- Do not eat raw dough (even though it may be tasty!)
4. Make sure all leftovers are stored appropriately
- Refrigerate leftovers no later than 2 hours after cooking.
- Your fridge should be set at 40 degrees Fahrenheit and the freezer at 0 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Do not eat food that has an odd smell or looks questionable.
- Keep meat, seafood, and vegetables in separate containers to retain the original taste and stay fresh.
Medical center in Hialeah wishes you happy Thanksgiving!
Want to know more about Medical center in Hialeah?
Do you have questions or would you like to schedule an appointment at Rite Care Urgent Care Medical Center–your Medical Center in Hialeah? We’re here for you! Please don’t hesitate to call us directly at (305) 200-1225 or visit our website.